The Maimonides Centre for Advanced Studies pursues an equal opportunity programme which fosters (1) gender balance and (2) the compatibility of family and career.
The programme supports the creation and strengthening of an awareness of gender equality and existing problems in this area, an increase in the proportion of women in MCAS’s fellowship programme and events, the encouragement of female early career researchers in advancing their careers, the construction of an academic network within the subject of Jewish studies, the establishment of family-friendly and family-compatible working conditions, and the participation in structural measures at Universität Hamburg.
MCAS is closely cooperating with the Equal Opportunity Unit at Universität Hamburg, which offers a diverse programme for gender, diversity, and family. In addition, it is part of an interdisciplinary collaboration with the “Imaginaria of Force” Centre for Advanced Studies and the “Interconfessionality in the Early Modern Period” Graduate School, both of which work in the humanities in order to combine efforts towards developing a tailor-made equal opportunity programme for researchers involved in the three projects and strengthening the academic network by offering joint equal opportunity measures.
Support and Advise
The point of contact for researchers belonging to all three projects is the equal opportunity coordinator, Mrs Verena Frenssen, who is in charge of maintaining the equal opportunity programme by supporting with and advising on the following topics:
- Organising events and activities, for example:
- Gender Awareness Training and Diversity Workshops (organised annually)
- Workshop on “Networking for Women” (2021)
- Workshop on “Juggling Career and Family” (2022)
- Career coaching and training
- Support with finding suitable kindergartens, schools, and childcare for researchers with families;
organising emergency childcare
- Publishing a newsletter that informs researchers about events and activities in this field
Equal Opportunity Officer
Office Hours: Mondays to Thursdays between 9 am and 2 pm.